Sunday, March 13, 2011

Alchohol and Drunkenness

Now here's a big topic for today. The opinions sure do fly, and I admit, I've vacillated, though I don't actually drink. I want a strong and understandable position on this subject, so I can pass good answers and discerning stand points to my children.

The first mention of drunkenness is in Genesis 9. Noah, who found grace in the eyes of the Lord, whom God chose to preserve mankind through, is drunk. Because he is drunk, he finds himself caught in an indiscretion. Now nobody is perfect, but I think what we can learn here, is that even the best of men, can be made unwise and foolish through the effects of alcohol. God does not issue a reprimand to Noah for his drunkenness, but Noah's children are adversely effected. No commands are issued here, but there are some principles.
1) When a good man drinks, he can's always think. Drink responsibly? Well, that's kind of hard to do when your senses are impaired!
2) What you can handle, your children might not be able to. Is it really worth the risk?

No comments:

Post a Comment